Staging information

Today I got my staging information - so happy to get it before my trip to Europe.

Staging is the period of time on American soil before boarding the international flight.  My staging for Ghana was in Washington D.C. and my staging for Eastern Caribbean will be in Miami.

This time staging begins at 5 pm on May 28 with registration and introductions.  Memorial Day on the 29th will be full of paperwork and some training before the flight to St. Lucia scheduled for late morning on the 30th.

We will be given one last opportunity to back-out of serving before getting on the flight.  I understand some people back out during staging, but it did not happen last time.  Last time I heard that one person did pull out about 2 days before staging.

Even though my group will be serving on one of 4 island nations of Dominica, Grenada & Carriacou, St. Lucia and St. Vincent & the Grenadines we will do most of our pre-service training (PST) on St. Lucia.


Pre-service training


PST includes learning:

  • The rules and regulations about being a Peace Corps volunteer
    • Safety and security and reporting will be big topics
  • Basic teaching techniques
    • Likely practice teaching
  • Deciding where each person will be serving
  • General cultural and language training
  • Island specific training during the last few weeks of PST

PST and being a Peace Corps Training will conclude with Swear-in and becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer again.


During PST I expect I will be more or less radio silent with this blog.  I hoping to figure our internet, phone service, and uploading pictures and text, but it might take some time.



Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training