Computer and second week of vacation


Well, I was able to take apart my old computer and put it back together without loosing any pieces. I learned about some of the ribbon cable connectors and generally getting the computer apart and back together without loosing or breaking anything. It was not overly difficult, but a little tedious at times to figure out a connector.  The inside of the computer was less dusty after Ghana than I expected.

This ended up as more an exercise in the practice of taking a laptop apart and putting it back together. Resetting the ribbon cable did not fix the keyboard issue (certain keys still not working). In addition, the battery did not seem to hold a charge or even always charge – age or hurricane Maria….


for those who want to see the inside of a laptop - with the back cover off

And taken apart...
Between the keyboard, battery, and the age of the computer (and it’s “survival” through Ghana and Maria) I don’t think it is worth getting parts. So, a learning experience rather than a sign that I should change my career to computer repair person.

Grand Anse


On Friday I went to Grand Anse beach to meet up with a couple of volunteers. It was nice as I was feeling that I’d not taken much advantage of seeing the island during the vacation.

Someone had promised to show me around the island over the Easter holidays – but was not feeling well during the break.  So my exploration will still need to wait.


At the beach - with one of my Ghana shirts

snap of the beach - having problems uploading the panorama view 

Other activities


During the break I was able to complete the report for Peace Corps – the dreaded Volunteer Reporting Form (VRF). The person checking the report is fairly particular about making sure the associated metrics are accurate – so some things that I don’t have good metrics on, such as this blog as a Third Goal activity, I simply simplified my reporting and skipped it.

The other thing on my list to do was the teacher’s in-service on reading comprehension. I’ve completed the background research, investigated a few websites and drafted an outline for the presentation. It is scheduled for the second week of school, so I’ll work on it some next week as well.

On the subject of research – I continue reading about food security for the Caribbean. There is plenty of food, particularly compared to my part of Ghana, but a lot of it is imported and not all healthy – not exactly sustainable, climate resilient, nor secure. I’ve found some very good recent articles and a book available on the internet.

I also found another method of dealing with plastic waste on a scale that would suitable for the islands with a population of less than 100,000. Plastic waste on the island is a problem for two reasons.


First, it ends up in the ocean and otherwise damages the environment – the environment that needs to be protected for future generations as well as for citizens and tourists. Second, it is a useful resource. If something (say parts for an aquaculture system) could be made from plastic waste, rather than imported – that would be a plus. Alternately, conversion back in fuel would also be helpful. Fuel costs are high because everything has to be shipped in. Electricity on the island is high as well – about .29 ¢ US for kWh – compared to about .10 ¢ in Missouri.

The first method I investigated was a high temperature process without oxygen to break down the plastic into fuel (diesel) and gases that could be used to run the process, generate electricity or otherwise consumed.

Last week I stumbled, thank you YouTube, on “Precious Plastic” which is an open source effort to recycle plastic into other plastic items. This would turn empty bottles, plastic bags, and wrappers into usable items. They provide plans for the machines as well as practical advice on the process and a map to network with other interested people.

So, I’m happy to have two rather simple options to the problem.  Not sure how to reduce littering – but establishing a profitable system at the dump would be a first start. This will not likely become a project but I might eventually do more research and work up a business plan for some organization.

For now I’m in the “reduce” camp - most of my regular shopping places in Grenville are getting to know that I refuse the plastic bags whenever I can. The plastic bags I do take are used for my trash bags, freezer bags, or to recycle to a market lady. All my compostables from the kitchen are of course composted.


OK - my shopping bag is pink - my wife's old beach bag

About $1.85 USD of fresh ginger from the spice island

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training