Easter Holiday – family and friends


I’m half way through the two weeks of Easter Holiday. I’m enjoying my time off, attending services as I can. I finished my metrics report for Peace Corps that is due this week. I haven’t really started on my “in-service” presentation for the teachers to be given the second week of school.

Around the holidays - I’m always thinking about my family and friends. More on that topic in some future post – but know that I love and miss you always – holidays and missing family get togethers around the holidays are hard on all.

The only religious pictures for this season I got were on Palm Sunday.


After a short walk to Church for Palm Sunday

You cut your own palms here
I was hoping to get up Good Friday morning to walk the stations of the cross to a church, a few miles away. However, I slept through the alarm to get me to my Church by 5 am. 

I was the lector, the narrator (ugh), for the Good Friday Gospel. Sunday morning we had fairly significant rain – but no winter mix like some of my family in the states. The rain let up by the time Church started at 10:30. Church was nice with the pews a little more full compared to a regular Sunday.

Easter in Grenada does not include chocolate rabbits or coloring Easter eggs. Eggs are a very big part of Christmas with a lot of baking. Easter – not so much. I did make hard boiled eggs – and the brown eggs were already colored.

The islands take Good Friday and Easter Monday as holidays – so there are a lot of time for parties in different communities Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The family festival for Munich was on Sunday afternoon. A lady from church, a neighbor just a couple of doors uphill, was a major planner of the event to include games for kids and adults. She also got a barrel from donors that included school supplies as well as games. And with any party there was beer and food and a DJ with very large and loud speakers.


Getting things set up

Some of the toys and games.
The festival was initially “scheduled” for 1. However, with the rain or something it was moved to 3. The field is grass covered and was fairly dry by the time people started coming around 4. I was able to help with some of the set up as I arrived at 3.

Children and parents enjoying the day

Trampoline

Bounce house

What kid doesn't like to bounce?

OK, you hold it like this and then you start ...

Clouds, but no rain
It was a good turn out and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I left after a few hours and I’m sure more people came after after sunset.


Garden


Garden is growing
The garden is doing well. I had to water it a few times recently. It will still be some time before I know if I will get anything from it. Regardless – a learning experience.

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training