Corpus Christi

Grenada and some, but not all, of the islands had Corpus Christi as a holiday on Thursday, so no school.

On Thursday several churches organized a field day. There were races, marching, and relaxing. And food, always food. I had fried chicken and fries.

Most of the events were for the “houses” (churches). However, 50 yard dash races for children, men and women were open to others. One of the teachers, a trainee, placed second in the women’s race. The only white man in attendance, no names, wore jeans and not running shoes. He also doesn’t run barefoot like some people. He watched the young men race. There was no 50 and older race if another excuse is required.  Lots of excuses!


Marching competition





Spectators and time to eat

Garden


I also did some gardening on Thursday. The sweet corn was finished so I used my cutlass to chop up the stalks so it can eventually add to the organic material in the soil. Most of the soil I’ve seen on the island appears to have very little organic material. I’m all about improving the soil with organic material, earthworms and such.

However, I’ve not done a soil test and the soil is relatively new in geological time. So I may be underestimating the fertility. Some areas a certainly very fertile. I’ll still hold that adding organic material – presuming that inorganic chemicals used have not destroyed the soil biome – is always helpful.


Corn stalks chopped.  Not sure if I will turn under.

I also harvested my sweet potatoes. I wasn’t ready to harvest. However, as happened in Ghana, some goats ate my sweet potato vines. In Ghana the goats run loose during dry season – so a dry season garden is just so tempting to hungry goats – even with a fence.

Here, adults goats seem to be tied year round and moved each day or so. I guess they have a pen or area for water at night. Sometimes a stick or tree breaks and the adult goat gets loose, but that doesn’t happen often from what I’ve noticed.

The kid goats typically stay with their mother for some time, but eventually begin to roam. Two kids have been roaming around the church and school grounds eating flowers and plants for a few weeks.

A different couple of kids found my garden. I chased them off once, but they came back when I was at school. I was surprised that they ate all of my large sweet potato vine. Oh well, the garden is a learning experience, so it is successful – I’m learning.


Bon appetit I guess 

The sweet potatoes did a good job at mulching before the leaves were removed

Along the retaining wall is where I would get my leaves for a salad

These two vines are in a mound of loose dirt - I'll see if the vines survive

I could have gotten more if I could have waited.  The big one is from the core of the plant.
Might see if the school lunch women can use it
After telling some of the neighbors, who said they didn’t know who owned the goats, about the problem the goats might have been moved or tied. I’ve not seen them lately, but I have no more sweet potato leaves, so that might be the reason.

Goats have a 150 day gestation so this is a problem that will happen twice a year. I was told by one of the men in town that I should put up a fence. As I said, I tried that with limited success in Ghana.  I’m not sure I want to spend money on a fence right now.

I suppose another option would be to train a dog to protect the garden. A fence might be practical if I was staying a long time an needed the food from my garden.


If I had goats I would likely try a solar power electric fence, but I don’t think that would work for roaming goats. If I was an agriculture volunteer this issue might be something to investigate and see if the community was interested in an improvement....

On another note, I was looking for bay leaves because I like to add some when boiling chicken. Here, the leaves are more frequently used in teas and other drinks. And the leaves do not come dried and in a jar.


OK, I have enough bay leaves.

School


This week in school will be “revisions” to prepare for testing that starts the following week. Afterward the tests we will prep for graduation and report cards. This school year is coming to a close fast.

As I don’t have to give tests I’ll switch from set periods of group instruction to a more open mode -- allowing students who want to work on improving literacy to come by the library as they have free time. This way I can work with the students who are interested but not interrupt the teachers trying to get students ready for the tests. At least that’s the plan.

We also have another parent workshop this Tuesday to help parents help their children in reading and writing. I might have some work to prepare for that although most of the session will be lead by a facilitator.



Until next week….

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training