Father’s Day

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads and father figures out there. This day is a big reminder of my father. He was a special man and has been gone for 5 years now.

I don’t need a special day to remember that I’m a father and grandfather. I miss my children and grandchildren, my family and friends everyday. Every single day. We can call and exchange pictures, but of course remain physically separated.

My physical separation from my family and friends is my decision. Father’s Day is a day for me to reflect on my decision to do Peace Corps, again. This is my second tour so I knew what I was getting into. I knew it would not be easy.

A volunteer never knows what things that will make it difficult, but should expect difficulties and prepare. Some places may be easier than others, but Peace Corps is not needed where things are easy.

I respect the Peace Corps tradition and want to help it live up to its proud tradition. So, I get up each day and focus on how I can make my assigned site a better place. I’m happy. But then, I’m also one of those people who thinks easy is overrated, so go figure.

On another note, I was surprised that they celebrate Father’s Day in Grenada – I don’t know why I’m surprised, but I am. And, since kids are still in school there was class time for students to make cards for dad on Friday afternoon.



Testing

The students were taking tests most of the week. On Wednesday I had the 1st and 3rd graders for the day while the 2nd, 4th, and 5th graders were taking a standard test.

Testing for the little ones

Getting ready for another test
One of the last test in primary school for these 6th graders

On the other days there were times when the students were not taking tests. Sometimes I worked with one or two students and tailored the work to their needs. Other times I had a varied group and I had a computer with school house rock and other videos. Not saying I wimped out by using the computer to occupy the students but I guess there is incriminating photographic evidence.

Kids hanging on me

Sitting in my lap or hanging around

Phonics

More phonics

So some people don't like the camera.

Watch the video about verbs, not the camera

Garden.


I turned over the compost pile yesterday for two reasons. First, it was building up and needed to be turned. I also wanted to see if any earthworms had colonized the area.

I could not find a single worm in or around the pile after close to 6 months in the spot. I turned over some of the ground to work in the finished compost and other organic matter. I did not find any worms in the soil either.

I was reminded of my garden when I moved into a new house and new subdivision in Missouri. The developer had removed all the top soil and I was left with just subsoil and mainly B level at that – no earthworms and no organic material. I had a compost pile and was able to order worms for vermiculture. Still, improving the soil is a long term process and the garden was difficult for the first few years. After about three years I noticed some earthworms when I turned the soil. After six years or so each fork of soil was loaded with worms and the soil very productive. (I use a spading fork rather than shovel when working the soil.)

As I said before, it seems the major insect to feast on decomposing vegetation here is a millipede that can get close to a foot long. I’m told it’s harmless. I’m not sure it is all that helpful in breaking down kitchen scraps into a plant usable format. Oh well – I don’t have three years here, but maybe will be able to see some improvement in the short term.


Not very large

They get to be the size of a foot rather than the small finger


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training