Tourism

Caribbean island nations rely on tourism for part of their economy for good reason – the islands are varied and amazing so they are a good destination for North Americans, Europeans, and others.

I understand that some people have issues with tourism and the potential damage to the environment and the local economy. Certainly, the primary modes of island tourist transportation, airplane and cruise ships, greatly contribute to greenhouse gas emissions.

On balance – I support tourism, particularly for the smaller island economies. First being isolated and most having a population less than St. Louis proper, they need foreign currency and business opportunities for citizens to have a more robust economy.

Second, the development related to lodging, venues, etc. has not overwhelmed the local environment. Tourist traffic encourages and allows the government and private entities to protect and maintain the environment. As people cleaning their house before a visit, a focus on tourism can reduce littering and improve the stewardship of the environment.

Support for the local economy is the third reason. There may be some minor increase in some prices during “cruise season”, but it does not price out locals. Most spots are locally owned and operated so the economic benefit is infused back into the economy.

Note: In the above I’m speaking from my experience on Dominica and Grenada.

Next, as a Peace Corps volunteer I agree with Mark Twain.




“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.”

This does not necessarily apply to the luxury and high end isolated travel and tourism industry, but that is not typical in my part of the Caribbean.

Finally, the islands are going to suffer from climate change for years even if every airplane was grounded and every cruise ship remained docked tomorrow. I think people should visit the islands to enjoy the landscape, seascape and the locals so to get to know and appreciate the islands and the local population. Knowledge and appreciation will hopefully lead to understanding, compassion and empathy.

They are on one of the front lines of climate change. The islands will be impacted by future weather events enhanced by climate change and will need all the external support possible to respond to problems that they didn’t create.


Tourism Industry on Grenada


The population of Grenada knows that tourism is important and many people go out of their way to help tourists. In my first month, after visiting another volunteer at a park, I had difficulty getting a bus back to Grenville. Young man picked me up and went out of his way to drive all the way to Grenville. He commented that tourism is important and they hoped I would tell people back home about the nice island. I think he was disappointed I was a volunteer helping out for two years even though I said I’ll blog about it. Oh well… Ha!

Anyway, the thing that got me thinking about tourism is that some people from the tourism board came by this week to present a program to the younger students. The board had put together a new program and this was part of the roll-out to the schools. The kids seem to have enjoyed it.


Now booklet about how people are involved in tourism

I knew I should have put the white paper up differently

Class photo

Working with kids


The teachers and students are prepping for exams that will start on Monday. Therefore I did not have my normal classes. Instead, I’ve been working with interested children as time permits throughout the day and after school. I’ve spent most of the time with literacy. However, students also like a math game so we played that as well for numeracy with additional math drills tossed in when they were not looking.

Phonics cards

Dictionary work

Math game

"20% is the same as ???  1/5 and 0.2...


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training