Mosquitoes

I used a bug net in Ghana, which is a malaria hot zone. However, I was in the dry Upper West Region and there was only a relatively short period of time during the single rainy season when mosquitoes were an issue and the government came around with a seriously killer spray once a year. So I didn’t actually have many issues with mosquitoes. I didn’t even tuck the net in all the way most of the time until I shared my bed with a camel spider. Afterwards, I made sure it was tucked in.

This camel spider is from the dry area of Ghana - not on Grenada

Grenada has had frequent rains over the last two weeks and I’m currently plagued with mosquitoes outside and inside the house. I don’t have screens and I commonly leave at least the back door open to get some air circulation. So bugs outside can easily find a way inside.

My mosquito bat is getting a lot of use on the blood suckers. And when things get bad I’ll use bug repellent even though I’m not going outside. Peace Corps is sometimes like camping with the smell of “Deep Woods Off”.


The speck of light in the lower left is the spark from a mosquito

So this video is of the bat with some dead bugs still sparking. I need so shake the dead bugs out.  However, when I wave it fully charged through a swarm of bugs it makes the same sound.





Yes, bug spray can be rather expensive.  Peace Corps sometimes, but not always, has a supply at the office

So no camel spiders, but plenty of blood suckers. The bug net, properly tucked, is a refuge in the day to read and relax and of course at night to sleep without the buzzing sound in my ear. This works most of the time unless a mosquito hangs a ride on me while I’m getting into bed or otherwise finds a way in. So I take my bat in bed just in case.

My trusty bug net.

Here mosquitoes can carry chikungunya fever, zika, and dengue fever. So far I’ve not had problems. I don’t really have much of a problem with itchy bites.

I don’t use the insecticide sprays much because I’m not keen on such the chemicals. But I do use it at times in the dark places where they like to hang out – I don’t know if it really helps. I will admit at times I have wanted to bug bomb the place regardless of the chemicals...

The proper solution is to identify where they are growing and resolve. I’ve checked around the house for possible breeding areas, but can’t find any that I can easily fix – such as pails of water or tossed coconut shells. My guess is the drain for the house gutters and laundry and kitchen sink that goes under my house in the back or the gutter in front of my house under my driveway.  So when I do the dishes, laundry, or anyone using water above me - the outside drains will get some water.  (Toilet water is sent to a septic systems, but water from laundry, kitchen sink and other “gray” water sources are sent to open drains.)

Below a grate in the driveway I can see a broken section of concrete drain that collects water and figure there are others that I can’t see under the driveway and under the house. I also know that some sediment also causes water to stand up the hill from me. It doesn’t take much water or much time for the pests to go from fertilized egg to flying menace.

Of course in the states I could wait for fall and frosts to knock out the population. Living in the tropics that is not going to happen but some weeks they are less of a problem. I just sort of have to accept that the blood suckers are part of the ambiance of the place. I do get some pleasure from electrocuting them, but I’m not a fan of the smell of fried bugs.

So, while the problem has never completely gone away it does get better at times. And a few small bugs, even blood suckers, is not much of problem compared to other things people around the world face every day. So, as they say here, I’m “not too bad.”




Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training