Mid-service Training

This past week was mid-service training (MST). The conference was held on St. Lucia at the Mount of Prayer Coubaril run by the Benedictine Nuns. It was a lovely place with hospitable people as you would expect from Benedictines. A couple of years ago in Ghana I was able to spend a little time at a Benedictine Abby (popular with volunteers) – so it was a nice connection with the two Peace Corps services.

I got a little spoiled with the great meals and the WiFi. I intentionally don’t have WiFi at my house so I’m less tempted to stay inside. I do have better data service than Dondometeng in the Upper West - no complaints there and so none here.


Their Church

Their view

Their conference room

Getting ready for a meal

My room was the only one with a television.  It did work, but I didn't watch anything.

My guess is the picture was a little fuzzy because of all the estrogen, but that's just a guy theory with a dirty phone

This was actually my first MST. Ghana has three training intakes: Agriculture, Health, and Education. It was not feasible from a budget nor logistic perspective to have an MST for each intake group. Therefore in Ghana we had an “All Volunteer” conference once a year. Some of the talks were the same, but it came at an odd time for education volunteers.

I did get a lot out of this MST. Administrative, safety and security, and health refreshers were all covered well. These are the talks that I remember most from the “All Vol” conference in Ghana.

Around the middle of service the volunteer looks back over the last year and forward to the next year. It is a common time to get a little down. This is one of the periods when there may be a surge of early terminations (ET). Peace Corps uses this training, either in the more typical MST or in the “All Vol”, to encourage volunteers to stick with it.

At this MST we also got some refresher training in practices related to early childhood literacy. In typical Peace Corps practice each volunteer also had time to share something they are doing to help exchange ideas and inspire new ideas for the second year.


One of the PCV talks with possible the biggest ceiling fan I've seen

More literacy training

Another difference I noticed, perhaps because I wasn’t paying attention in Ghana, was a focus on what comes after Peace Corps. There were several sessions related to options and opportunities after Close of Service (COS). These include opportunities for scholarships, Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) for federal jobs, and positions at Vista or AmeriCorps.

I learned a lot. I did not know about the similarities and connections between Peace Corps and AmeriCorps. Peace Corps, because of the countries served and isolation of sites, has some significant health requirements that are not present in AmeriCorps. The speaker explained that those who are unable to service in Peace Corps could consider AmeriCorps. (Note to some of my 50+ friends who did not get medically cleared for service.) Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) also cross over to serve in Vista or AmeriCorps after overseas service.

Another option for Peace Corps volunteers is extending – continuing to serve for some time after the two years. Extensions can be short term to help finish a project or up to a year to continue with the primary project. There is also extending in a position called Peace Corps Volunteer Leader (PCVL) that has other roles and responsibilities to support the Peace Corps post or the host county that are performed in addition to or in place of the primary project.

Mid-service is a time to start thinking about what comes after service without being overly distracted from the primary service project for the next year.

I found myself distracted from time to time thinking about the week of school I was missing and how I was going to make it up – hoping my co-teacher was able to make progress on the subjects in my absence. I’ll see on Monday, although it will be a short week.


Kids at assembly

My co-teacher and the class

The final and very significant benefit of meetings like MST is catching up with the other volunteers. Being on four different islands makes it difficult to get face time, particularly if you are a “site rat” (a volunteer who tends to stay in his/her community).

It was great seeing everyone as I always enjoy the conversations with other volunteers. I didn’t get to talk with everyone I wanted to, but that seems to be the way it goes.

I was able to talk briefly with one of the volunteers who was able to return to Dominica. It is not easy but she is doing well as is her community. The island continues to recover. I also chatted with the Country Director about plans for the island because while I’m “All In” on my service to Grenada I know that there are children in my old community and around the island who also need help. Peace Corps was not able to send new volunteers this year and we all hope that will change next year.

Of course after any meeting there is the closing and returning. So back to the airport at 5:45 am and back to site and back to work. About 300 days left.


Waiting at the airport

Island hopping planes

I told my mom that the planes were not so small because people sit 4 across
However, they did seem smaller than I remember

Flight home and back to work

Final reflections: Everyone’s desire and view of Peace Corps is different and there are many different opportunities and sites. Each site has shifting positives and negatives. I find it interesting that one person’s view that “you missed a bullet” is another person’s view that “I missed what I signed up to do with eyes wide open”.

From personal experience and talking with other volunteers I know that some sites in Ghana, Morocco, and other countries are relatively easy and others sites are fairly difficult. Some people don’t think that they can handle the physical difficulties at site and are pleasantly surprised when they find out they can thrive in the environment.

I continue to encourage anyone who is thinking about Peace Corps to apply. You can handle more than you think and Peace Corps will try not to put you in a place where you are overwhelmed. AmeriCorps and Vista might be a better way for others to help people in need – in the US. And of course everyone in their normal day to day lives can (and should) do the small things to make the day better for another person or, in a little way, the world better for the next person.

And of course – VOTE. I’ve already had to snail mail mine. Unfortunately I can’t do it over the internet.



Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting