Christmas at home

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Christmas lights in my subdivision



I’ve traveled home for the holidays. My children are moving out of the house and on to other places and I’ve come back to see them off and to enjoy the holidays at home. As a Peace Corps volunteer you do miss family and it is nice to be able to take a break from service to spend time a home.

I was able to spend Christmas with my kids and grand kids and to see my mom and my two brothers in Arkansas. My daughter and I took the 5.5 hour trip from St. Louis to mom’s for an overnight visit and then back to St. Louis. My short time in the states means that I’ve not been able to see nearly everyone that I wanted to see.


Missy, Libby, and Andy

Andy and pappa John (no relation to pizza)

With Samantha and Mom

Daniel and the bridge he build for the prayer garden some years ago
Of course life goes on while a volunteer is away. For older volunteers this also means taking care of financial matters. With the house now empty I’ve decided to sell it. I’ve met with the realtor and will update financial paperwork so my son can deal with closing when it happens.

It is not that uncommon for older volunteers to sell real estate while in service. Others rent out their place until they return. Some volunteers (older and younger) don’t return immediately after service, but find a place abroad to work or live. I’ve not yet decided about my next step.

I might eventually settle back down somewhere. I’ve downsized my belongings to what will fit within a Honda CRV and a Prius. For now I’ve got about 227 days until my target close of service date if I was counting.


Most of my stuff with the shelves it fits on

I’m back off to Grenada at the end of the week for the next two terms in school. It looks like we will be moving to the new school so I should have plenty to talk about in the new year.

Happy New Year to all



Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training