Interrupted Service

The normal end to Peace Corps is close of service (COS) at about 24 months after being sworn in. However, there are other ways to get out. We serve as volunteers and can early terminate (ET) anytime. I’ve heard about people who get off the plane in some third world airport and see, hear, or smell something and realize it’s not for them even before training starts. Peace Corps does not make anyone stay if they want to leave.

If a volunteer violates a major rule or something Peace Corps may decide to administratively separate (ad sep) a volunteer. Nobody wants this black mark.

A medical issue that cannot be supported in the country brings a medical evacuation back to the states. If the condition cannot be resolved with 45 days of care it automatically turns into medical separation. I had to leave Ghana under medical evacuation for a lung issue but I was cleared to return to service before the end of the 45 days. However, I didn’t have enough time left in my service so I could not return but was given an early COS. Something I still regret.

But, what about the situations where the volunteer – through no fault of their own – can no longer serve at their site? In these cases the volunteer might have an interrupted service (IS). I knew a volunteer in Ghana and now one on Grenada that had their service ended in this way. The country director can grant COS status depending on when IS happens within service and other factors.

There is not much the volunteer can do in this situation. However, volunteers come together for one of their own to show support and to celebrate the service and the friendship. Drinking might also be involved. Yesterday, was such a day for Katelyn.


See you soon...

Katelyn picked Grand Anse beach, one of the nicest on the island, for her send off. I didn’t pry into the details in her IS. There are so many emotions with the volunteer wanting to continue and PC not having an easy answer.

But having a nice beach and good weather did make for a great day. She didn’t set a specific time and I arrived early, as usual. First one there so I had time to relax.


While I was waiting for others to come - hard life....
After everyone arrived we had some time in the sun and water. It was then lunch that included watermelon. Yes, Grenada has watermelon in December and pretty much throughout the year.

A nice watermelon.  It was very sweet
One of the volunteers also brought a small drone to try outside for the first time. I wish I had a movie of some of the times he chased after it.

What about that?

OK, maybe we need to be in the proper position

Lift off
We have one more week of school. Crunch time. 

I also need to pick up my passport which has been recently updated with a new visa. I tried to pick it up on Friday, but the office was closed so I’ll pick it up Monday afternoon when the kids have PE. Three trips to St. Georges in four days – this is not how a site rat is supposed to operate. But I can’t really complain. One way is generally less than 2 hours, so it beats the 15 hour trip on one bus to get to post in Ghana.


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training