Leaving home again

Back to Grenada

I’m back on the island after my very short trip to the states. The first thing I noticed when I returned to my site was the candle on my table – indicating that when I closed the windows for two weeks it got a bit toasty inside. I’m also back with those flying blood suckers – a bit different that the chill in Missouri and Arkansas in December.




So maybe a little warm in the house

I went home to see family for the holidays and to get the house partially ready to sell. I did what I absolutely had to do – set up the paper work so my son can sign closing papers, sort important Christmas decorations, move my stuff into my other son’s house, and a few others things.

I was not able to see everyone or do everything that I wanted. In two weeks – that is not surprising, but disappointing.


Visiting home during service


I absolutely love seeing family and friends. The biggest joy I get is being with my children, grandchildren, mom, and siblings as well as renewing friendships. The stores, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, library, really good internet, and other things are wonderful. Driving my Prius rather than waiting for a bus (yesterday when after shopping in Grenville when I had to wait for a bus to come and then to fill) was fantastic. I’m also a fan of the different seasons, even winter... I really, really like the life I could have in America.

So the visits are wonderful, but too short. Leaving yet again is a gut wrenching all over. I hate it so very much. And yet this is the life, for a time, that I and other Peace Corps volunteers choose. To leave a place and a people we love to meet and many times fall in love with a different place and different people. To see that all people are the same regardless of appearances, language, and culture. To work for peace and unity, to improve the lives of others, to grow as a person, and to help the environment – this is the work of Peace Corps. This demands sacrifices, difficult ones, but worth our sacrifices.

(Besides, who really, deep down wants an easy life?)

Still it would be nice to get my socks really clean with just hand washing.


Thanks for taking me to the airport crazy early Sam

Sell a house while in Peace Corps


Like some volunteers I own a house and I’m going to sell it while I’m in service. In my case I’m going with a realtor who is a family friend and I’ve given power of attorney to my son for closing. My children are moving their stuff out of the house and calling a charity to take the rest and otherwise clearing out the place. I’m so very grateful for the work they will be doing over the next several weeks. I couldn’t do what I do without their support in this and everything else.

I think that the house will be ready to sell by the February – so if anyone wants a house in Twin Chimneys….

So when I left very early on Friday to catch my flight it was likely to last time I will walk out of it. Nice memories and I hope it brings happiness to another family. I was also another reason for the gut wrenching feeling departing this time.


A dark morning leaving the house for the (most likely) last time

I was able to bring back some more stuff to the island – the rest of my African shirts, sourly needed slacks for school, some snorkeling equipment, my kites, my wok, and a very special clock. I left a CRV and Prius amount of stuff at my son’s house and I now have about 3 or 4 large backpacks of stuff here. Pretty decent from a downsizing perspective maybe.

Not sure what I will take to my next place. However, shipping with a barrel is fairly easy. But that is a step well into the future.

The week coming up will be interesting, but I will avoid hints this week.


Clock Sam made some years ago.


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training