Mount Carmel and school.

As I mentioned before Mount Carmel is a short walk, about 3 miles, from my house. Sunday afternoon Haley and I finally made it to the falls. We were going to go on Saturday after I finished shopping in the market, but decided on Sunday after church. So we had to walk both ways as buses don’t run on Sunday.

On the walk down
But the falls is very nice and worth the exercise. Haley liked the cold water and the falls and she returned Monday when I was at school.

A couple of kids near the falls

Cool water


Haley left Tuesday morning on her own via the local buses while I went off to school. She was boarding the plane to leave Grenada for St. Vincent while my next visitor was boarding the plane from Miami to come to Grenada.

My visitor this week, Lisa, is a fellow Returned Peace Corps volunteer friend who served in Ghana. She is leaving today. As I have school she has been on her own for the most part of her short visit. I’m glad that she found a local guide and was able to see a lot of the island. I took her to Grand Anse beach on Saturday although I didn’t get pictures.


School


School is going well. We had a project review meeting for the Early Learning Program (ELP) supported by USAID. Peace Corps volunteers frequently work on projects funded by other organizations. In Ghana most of my food security secondary projects were under USAID funding.

Six islands are participating in this early literacy program. The school has used the resources and support to provide training for teachers and parents as well as resources for the children. The school has reported metrics such as number of boys and girls of different ages showing improvement along various measures of reading and writing. These metrics are important to show that the money is being used properly and effectively.

On an entirely different topic - I got a kick out of one of the students caught chewing gum (not allowed) during morning assembly. I really like this particular student – he is smart, works hard, respectful to others, and willing to help the younger students.


Marked for chewing gum in school
With the house to myself I’ll go back to my normal routines. Having visitors is nice and I think a typical part of Peace Corps. Haley and Lisa found the bus system very easy as they explored the island on their own. Just a note to anyone else who might want to visit. As they say in Ghana – you’re invited.

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training