Second week of school.

Finished the second week of school. In the first week I reviewed topics from the previous term – such things as the basic math operations. This term I need to cover, among other things, the ways math can be used in everyday lives – such as measuring distance.

Back to assemblies and setting down in school

Teaching this can be a little confusing on the islands because we use both the English/Imperial and the Metric systems. After setting the stage on Monday with terms I got into the practical business of measuring inches with a rule and later measuring centimeters with a metric tape. Happily, I listened to their answers as a class and individually and happily watched their progress.

My method of teaching math to my small class is to provide the basic lesson details to the entire class, give extra material to those who have mastered a topic, and then check in with homework, sometimes a worksheet, and commonly a quiz.

Based on feedback I adjust my teaching for topics that students didn’t get either as the class at large or one on one.

Let’s just say, that after the exam on Friday I’ll be going back over the topic again.


Settling down


Part of the problem is the students are just now settling down in the new term. In the first week many of the students in the school were a bit wild. Well, it’s elementary school so the kids are always wild and acting like kids – but a bit more noisy and distracting than usual.

I think they will soon settle down a be bit more focused. They are smart kids who want to learn.


Mr. John - Haley's camera is bigger than yours!!

Let me see.  Let me see
My guest has been helpful in classes and it has been nice having her around. She leaves Tuesday morning and my next guest arrives Tuesday afternoon.

Haley borrowed my hat before finding a good sun hat.  The tropical sun can be a bit much.
I’ve not been up to the new school lately.  I was able to talk with some of the workers after they finished on Friday and they are still at it. I hope to have pictures and an update soon. However, in order not to disrupt this term I think we will move at the end of this term or the beginning of the final term.

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training