Medical time in Rabat Morocco



My medical conditions were enough for the Peace Corps to send me to their regional medical center for West Africa – Rabat Morocco.  It is here that I’ve seen the dentist, ENT, orthopedic doctor, and physical therapist.

My tooth was both worse – with a major chunk broken off on Christmas and better – as no root canal was performed.  The original plan was a root canal, but the doctors in D.C. wanted a more conservative approve.  The doctors in Morocco have to follow the directions of the doctors in Washington D.C. like everyone else abroad in the Peace Corps.

I have a temporary crown and should have a permanent one on Tuesday if all goes well.  (No pain that would indicate a root canal.)

I have yet another fungal infection in my ear canal which is impacting my hearing.  Nothing serious – I have drops now and will have a salve later.

My shoulder is a bad sprain of the supra-something or another (I know what it is but will have some semblance of HIPPA security).  The condition can take months to heal.  I’m to do stretches that are painful, but required – for the next several months.  This will require some discipline on my part as I make my improvements without a physical therapist close to my site.  I will be keeping the doctors up to date on my recovery.  Once I have regained range of motion I’m to work on strengthening exercises.  They don’t want me doing those now during the recovery period so they haven't told me what those are, but they also don’t want my right shoulder to get bad.

Sightseeing in Rabat

I’ve had a little time between doctor appointments and waiting at the post to see some of the town.  I’m required to stay in Rabat, which is somehow fine.  I’ve met a few local PCVs and they are nice and inviting.  Rabat, as the capital city, has a lot of restaurants as well and hopefully I’m putting on a few pounds.


A $3.00 lunch at a cafe near the Peace Corps Post (in a government ministry so the prices are lower).


I’ve been to the medina (the old shopping bazzar), the Kasbah (oldest part of the city), and Chellah – (the ancient Roman city of Sala Colonia).  I have a few words in French and Arabic - but I would like to learn more

Art Museum close to my hotel and the physical therapist - I've not yet seen it open -
And can't find a sign indicating hours which would be in French and Arabic anyway.

St. Peters Catholic Church near my hotel - I think I know when mass is.

Selfie practice - in front of a device connected to a water wheel in the old Roman ruins.

Another selfie practice - outside the gates of the old Roman ruins


I hope to be going back to Ghana and the upper west sometime this week.  I’ll miss a few days of classes, but hopefully will be back before the second week of school starts.


Love always

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training