New Years




Happy New Years!!!  I realize many people back in the states started having their spring storms early this year.  My heart and thoughts go out to the people dealing with the displacement and damage.  Support your neighbor and your local Red Cross.

We are in the dry season here with the blowing dust of the harmattan.  I’m spending my time in the capital Accra.  The city does experience intense rains and flooding during their rainy season.


As way to show life in Accra – I took a couple of pictures on the way to the bus station (to pick up a package).  The pictures are not the most outwardly flattering for the city or the country, but this is their life and people are making the best of it.  I admire their happiness in their day to day efforts.

Look down the canal - with traffic and a new highway under construction

Women walking.  Yes, the one women to the right is carrying 36 eggs on her head.
The man is buying something from that other women with all the things on her head.

Looking back on my year the best part was seeing my grandson for the first time and my daughter’s wedding.  The trip home was nice, but of course, I returned to finish my service.  I do enjoy my service - working with the locals - teaching a few things and learning a lot.

I should be done with my service in the August / September timeframe.  I will be back in the states to enjoy the last few months of the presidential election.  I’m so sorry that I’ll miss the political ads until then.  Ha!

Looking forward to this year:
          I will complete my computer and library grant.
          I want to finish up the last two terms of teaching. 
          It would be nice to have some bunnies
          It would be nice have a little more success in the garden. 

I have enjoyed my time but I will also enjoy completing my service in August or September.  I hope to spend a little bit of time in Europe after I complete my service and head back home to see family and friends.  I am really looking forward to that last part – seeing family and friends.

Health


I’ve been in Accra waiting for the holidays to be finished so I can get my tooth repaired.  I will be going to Morocco for the medical procedure.  This is our regional medical site for Western Africa.  There I can easily get more extensive medical care should that be necessary.  I feel bad that they are going through all this effort for a chipped (abet major chip) tooth, but I’ve said before that the Peace Corps does take care of the medical needs of the volunteers.

Morocco has seasons and is cold this time of year.  I did not bring winter clothes or even my shoes (rather – short sleeve shirts and Keen sandals).  However, my neighbor Roger and Headmaster was able to send shoes and my sweatshirt (my only cold weather gear) on the overnight bus – so I will have something to wear if it really is cold.

I was not able to get physical therapy on my shoulders.  I have a somewhat limited range of motion, but not pain if I stay within the reduced range.  I don’t want physical therapy to extend my stay in Morocco or Accra, but I would like to be seen again and get a couple of treatments and then do more work on it back at site.  Time will tell.


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training