Back home for a full week



Last weekend I was able to meet up with my recruiter at a farmer’s market.  While helping at the recruiting booth I met a couple returned Peace Corps volunteers (RPCVs).  I’m looking forward to comparing notes in the future.

My parish had their annual summer ride festival the first Sunday I was back.  The rides impact parking and so the Sunday schedule was thrown off.  Today is “fellowship Sunday” – AKA coffee and donuts – so I will be going to my “normal mass” at 10:15.  I hope to see a number of friends there.

 
Last Sunday mass in Ghana


First Sunday mass in Missouri

Summer festival at my church

I went to an early mass so parking would not be a problem last weekend.

Doctor visits


I’ve been busy making doctor appointments for this and that.  I’m scheduled for a session with respiratory therapy to learn how to clear my lungs on Monday.  I’m also going for another primary care visit to talk about other issues from Ghana – particularly shoulder and hip pain that might require some physical therapy.  I’ve been working at it, but think I need a session or two to move things toward a more complete recovery.

At this point I’m having 2 or 3 doctor visits a week as I move along on my 45 days.  I don’t see I problem getting medically cleared on or before that target of July 15th.

Tough life back in the states


Our subdivision has three pools - kiddie pool, open pool (in the picture below), and an adult pool.  I’ve been going a few of times a week to work on my shoulder and hips doing some laps.  It is a tough life.

Tough life in Missouri

Food is obviously been different here than in Ghana.  My digestive system is working harder and if this was a blog just for Peace Corps volunteers I would not hesitate to talk about the status of certain body functions, but as this is general I’ll try to limit my comments.  I will say that the recent hamburger I had was very good.

PCVs in the states are REQUIRED to post food pictures.  My first hamburger stateside.


I’m slowing reconnecting with friends.  Right now my son-in-law and daughter are working so the three of us are sharing two cars.  Because of this I’ve not reconnected with many people yet.  This is likely a good thing because I’m still readjusting to life in air conditioning, fully stocked grocery stores, and customer service in a language I can understand.

The rest of my time has been spent sorting the things I brought back, sorting the things that I left in the basement.  I have a lot of work to do.  I’m hoping to significantly downsize the stuff I have without pushing much stuff on my children.  I’ve also been working on the yard to clean some things up.  After being gone for two years there are gardens to mend, bushes to trim, and trees to prune.  A little bit of physical activity never hurt anyway.

Health


I continue to improve on the health front.  My sinus congestion is significantly reduced as is my cough.  My shoulders are also a little better with the laps in the pool.


Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training