Medical Evacuation


On May 24th I was notified that Peace Corps medical office decided that I should be medically evacuated as my cough was still lingering.  They figured that getting medical treatment at my home town would be the best way to address the situation.  I would have preferred to learn to clear my lungs and so be able to stay in Ghana until my desired close of service date of August 18th.  However, I realize that no one really had all the facts and we were all just trying to make the best decision.

I have 45 days to be medically cleared.  During this time Peace Corps will take care of the bills and I will officially remain a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV).  In a normal case I would be back on a plane to Ghana within 48 hours of my medical clearance.  However, as I have less than 90 days of service returning to site only to leave again would be very difficult on everyone.  So upon medical clearance I will complete service and become a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV).

Saying a quick goodbye


I was able to go back up to my site on Thursday the 26th.  I told my students, teachers, and community the news that I would be leaving.  I was able to stay to pack and say goodbyes before leaving after mass in the community on the 29th.

It was very hard to say goodbye so abruptly.  My original plan was to leave Ghana on August 18th, a few weeks after school was finished.  This would have given everyone time to prepare for my departure, for me to meet the next volunteer, and to have a formal celebration in the community.

We all managed the best we could given the circumstances.

You can't leave the Upper West without drinking a little pito.
OK, actually a lot of pito.

Students

Students

and more students

Sitting next to one of my favorite students and I can't get him to smile.

Mass in the community.  I'm wearing the new smock given to me by the community.

Roger and I just before I got on the bus to Accra.  I will miss him and all the rest.


Back home


I left Ghana Tuesday evening.  My flights had a very tight connection in Amsterdam – my next flight started boarding before I got off my flight from Accra and I just about missed it.  I could not say the right words for “short connection”.   My Atlanta flight was leaving within the hour but there was also another Atlanta flight leaving in 6 hours that people were waiting for – so saying Atlanta was a waste of time.  Live and learn.  I made the gate 5 minutes before it closed.

My daughter met me at the airport on Wednesday afternoon.  It was great to see her standing in the open area as I got off the plane.  I’m back in my house and scheduling doctor appointments and getting tired for bed around 5 or 6 pm.

Peace Corps will not stop me from traveling – but I am here for medical and will therefore delay visits to Arkansas, Colorado, Michigan, Canada, and other places to visit family and friends until after I’m medically cleared.

I’m still working through my emotions and first impression about being back in a first world country.  More to come in future weeks.

Peace Corps is a great opportunity


Bronchiectasis is permanent scaring of the bronchi.  I will be more prone to infections and the condition may worsen.  At present I have nearly full lung capacity and the cough is manageable.  So the condition is not so bad.

However, people may say or think that I would regret my decision to go to West Africa as a Peace Corps Volunteer.  That is certainly not the case.  I agreed to go knowing that I would be in a malaria hot zone, likely remote, with other tropical issues that could attack my body.  I considered the medical risks with a host of other factors – (analytical data driven engineer).  I also knew that it was possible that if I did not go I could get in a major traffic accident going to work.

The opportunity to live and work with people trying very hard to survive is an extraordinary opportunity for an American.  The opportunity to make the world a better place one life at a time, to learn so much, and to realize the potential for growth of yourself and others as a Peace Corps volunteer is so amazing and rewarding in a non-material way that it is worth the price of a little chronic medical condition.

I am so very glad I went and will be sharing other feelings and future plans in the weeks to come.

Health


By now you know my cough is still around but very manageable at this point.  I need to learn how to clear my lungs and then I could be cough free most of the day.  I also need to get some physical therapy for my shoulder and hip.  I’m back with my primary care physician so I should be able to manage the health issues without problems.  Hopefully within the 45 days.

Love always

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training