Happy Father’s Day and thoughts on stuff

Today is father’s day and I’m very happy to be able to spend it back home.  I wish  all the fathers a good day.



Thinking about stuff


I’ve been back in my four bedroom house for over two weeks now.  Being back with family and friends is nice while the circumstance of my departure from friends in Ghana is regrettable.  Life with hot showers and a washing machine is very nice while seeing all the stuff in the house compared to my place in Ghana reveals a need to simplify.  I’m still adjusting.

One of the reasons I joined the Peace Corps was to learn to live more simply.  I came back from Ghana with two bags.  I now turn my attention (when not focused on doctor visits, reconnecting with family and friends, etc.) to the stuff acquired in a lifetime.  My house, particularly the basement, is full of things for me and the kids.  Things we thought we needed at the time, things that have sentimental value, things that have economic value, things that I still “need”, and things that I can now release.

The St. Vincent de Paul Society in my parish is having a used clothing drive next week which gives me an opportunity to look at my closet now that I’ve pulled my clothes from the basement.  How many shirts, pants, suits, etc. do I need?  What can I donate? I find only two pairs of jeans left at home.  Do I need more or can I manage?

What about all the other stuff?  Collectables, tools, this, and that are arranged on shelves in the basement.  How much do I need?  What should I save for the kids?  Sometimes it is so overwhelming but I need to take the time to seriously look at what I have.  I see that having less stuff will make my life easier and will help make future steps easier, but getting to that point will require a lot of work.  Anybody need an ice shaver?

Some of the stuff organized in the basement

I do recommend that everyone look at what they have and what they think they need to get.  Having less and spending less really has been helpful to me and might be helpful for others.

Health


I continue to make doctor appointments, scheduling them into next month.  My cough is not gone, but better and manageable.  I have physical therapy scheduled for my shoulders this week and continue to swim and work on exercises to strengthen them.  Still have sinus congestion and other aches and pain - nothing significant.  I’m confident that I can get medical clearance before my birthday.

Love always,


John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training