Some medical stuff done, some remaining



All the blood work initially requested by the Peace Corps has been drawn.  I am just waiting on the late (polio titer) results.  That test has to be sent away, so it might be a few days before I get the results.  Not sure how much this is going to cost, something I will report later.

This week I have an outpatient test as part of my physical.  I’m not going to say what it is, but men and women over 50 can sympathize.  After I get all the results, hopefully before Christmas, I should be able to complete my my medical tasks.

Then Peace Corps medical can start looking at the results and ask for additional information and such as needed. For example, it looks like one of the vaccines that I got in Ghana did not take, so I might need to get another shot or two.  Future Peace Corps volunteers know that after the initial round of medical tasks are completed and reviewed by the nurses there may be additional tasks requests.  It is all part of the process.

Still, medical clearance is moving along – so I’m hopeful.

Theresa’s death


This week is also the anniversary of my wife’s death – four years now.   It seems that it will always be with me.  It is casting a certain mood over the Christmas season this year.  I’ve talked with other widows and widowers who have more experience at this than I and they say what I already know – life goes on, but it remains hard.  Certainly, the difficulties in my life are insignificant compared to others – such as citizens of Aleppo or South Sudan.

I’m not looking for sympathy, or even for the feeling to go away.  This is a significant part of my life.  We all have had events that shape our thoughts and our life.  The difficult spots help us empathize with others, an important trait for everyone. 

For me, these events drive me to try to make the world a better place, even if it means that my life is not always easy or comfortable.  I’ve seen too much suffering and injustice in the world to be able to sit life out. 

Again, there are many people who are doing great work and have many reasons to stay and work close to home, which is great.  Going into the Peace Corps or other work abroad is not saying that there are no problems in America, or that I don’t care about issues at home.  It is to say that many people can work locally to make the world a better place and still continue their normal lives.  I think that is great.  Others, find the best way to improve the world and to improve the image and influence of America abroad is to work for world peace and friendship directly – which is also fine.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training