Working through medical clearance - continued



As mentioned I’m working to get medically cleared for service.  Last week I was worried about getting a procedure needed for my physical scheduled and I’m happy to report that I was able to schedule it before the end of the year.

However, I’m juggling multiple tasks and I’ve run into problems with a blood test - prove polio immunization.  I got an adult booster a few years ago, but I cannot find my childhood immunization records so I need to get a polio titer test this time around.  I’ve been working with my doctor to try to get it scheduled but there seems to be some sort of issue to order the test.  I’m continuing to wait for a response from my doctor as they try to see what they can do.  And so I wait.  I might have to go to a different lab and pay for the test out of pocket.

Again, the joys of Peace Corps medical clearance.

This is not a complaint about the medical clearance process, just a post describing the work and difficulties in getting clearance for those interested.

I am trying to keep several things in mind.  First, the Peace corps is going to be responsible for my medical conditions while I’m a volunteer so they want to know certain things before I'm allowed to go.  Whatever they want, I’m going to try to accomplish.  I’m not going to argue if I need it or not.  (Although, I did search for polio hot zones because this was not needed when I went to Ghana.)  

Second, some of these things might take time, particularly during the holidays.  So I need to work on my tasks and follow-up when things seem to be delayed.  I have already completed what I could.  And I’ve called and left messages to move things along.  Medical clearance requires organization and planning.  The same organization and planning will be required as a Peace Corps volunteer, so it is good practice.

Third, there is going to be some costs associated with the process.  Insurance will cover some things, but other things will require out of pocket cash.  The Peace Corps might make some little reimbursements, but most people will find that they have to spend some money to get everything done for clearance.   

Finally, getting through medical clearance or getting through Peace Corps is not always easy.  Complaining is easy but does not help.  I understand that trying to make the world a better place in yourself, your family, at home or abroad is not always easy.  I find comfort, satisfaction, and a place with the many who take the hard way. 

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training